Total Pageviews

Friday 9 May 2014

Pregnant piggie!

Huge development in the house of Piggies' Eye View. Last night I had my suspicions that little Robbie was pregnant. She was becoming more and more irritable and it suddenly occurred to me that she was growing much faster than her female cagemate Gary. I was holding her on a lap pad and she was grumpy. When I touched her back hip she spun round as if to bite. I tried to calm her down and kept my hand on her back with my finger around her side when I thought I felt something move! Now as I am a midwife, I am used to fetal movements!
I felt fairly sure that she was pregnant but as this was an unplanned pregnancy and we got her as a baby with a female I knew she had not conceived in our care. We have had her since the 7th of April so she must have conceived 40 days ago at least. I told hubby of my suspicions (he was not amused) but kept it quiet from Miss Olivia and Miss Erin. They would only have been upset if she wasn't expecting.
So today I took her and Gary to the vet for a check up. Gary is definitely a girl and is not pregnant. Robbie is definitely a girl and IS pregnant. Her belly was shaved and she had an ultrasound scan. I saw two fetal hearts so we are having at least twins. She may even have triplets!!!! Robbie was so good for the vet. She tolerated being handled and scanned and did really well. So now we are expecting an arrival in the next three weeks.
I broke the news to hubby - not happy. I broke the news to the girls after school. They laughed and screamed and danced and then Miss Olivia got tearful when she realised that one in five guineas dies in childbirth! Such a midwife's child. Bless her. The vet actually reassured me that she should do alright in labour so I am hoping that she is right. The next concern was "Can we keep them all? Will daddy let us keep them?"
Pregnant Robbie (left) taken on 8/5/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment